Frequently Asked Questions
- Do you need to be nominated for the Action Canada Fellowship?
No. All candidates must apply for this program.
- Is there an age limit for participation in the Action Canada Fellowship?
No, there is no age limit.
- What is the deadline to submit an application?
All application documents and supporting letters must be uploaded and submitted online by 5 p.m. PST on Friday, March 15, 2019.
- What should the letter of motivation include?
It should include:
- The importance of the program for the current stage of your life;
- Your aspirations and plans for your future career and life;
- Your areas of need for development and improvement;
- The importance of civic engagement to you, and desire to make a contribution to Canada;
- Your ability to transform ideas into action;
- Your ability to respect and understand new and different perspectives in addressing public policy issues.
- How are the reference letters submitted?
The candidate provides the contact information for two referees in the application portal. It will automatically generate a request to each referee to upload a short letter of reference in support of the candidate’s application.
- To whom should applications be addressed?
Applications should be addressed to the Action Canada Fellowship, National Selection Committee.
- Is the Action Canada Fellowship open to candidates in all disciplines or only those related to public policy and leadership?
The Fellowship is open to individuals from all walks of life. Prior or current studies in a particular discipline or a specific type of work experience are not requirements of this program.
- Do candidates need to be Canadian citizens?
Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Is the Action Canada Fellowship a full-time program?
No. While the commitment to participate in the Action Canada Fellowship is substantial (approx. 7-8 weeks in total), participation in this program can be undertaken in conjunction with the applicant’s regular work or studies with their employer’s or educational institution’s support.
- What is the time commitment for participation in the Action Canada Fellowship?
The time commitment is substantial (approx. 7-8 weeks in total) but it is a part-time program. Fellows must be available to travel and participate in five, four-to-eight-day (at times scheduled around weekends) intensive study tours during the program. Study tours will be held in different communities across Canada. Additionally, Fellows generally have meetings with their Task Forces once a week during the course of the program as they prepare their final report.
- When does the Action Canada Fellowship begin and end?
The program will begin on June 19, 2019 and will conclude on March 6, 2020. Fellows must be available for all study tours. The dates of the study tour program days are (does not include travel days):
- Wednesday, June 19 to Saturday, June 22, 2019
- Monday, August 19 to Sunday, August 25, 2019
- Wednesday, October 23 to Saturday, October 26, 2019
- Saturday, January 4 to Wednesday, January 8, 2020
- Tuesday, March 3 to Friday, March 6, 2020
- Are costs related to participation in the study tours covered?
Travel and accommodation costs for all components of the program are covered by PPF. Meals are also provided as part of each study tour program.
For additional questions, please contact the Action Canada/PPF team at firstname.lastname@example.org.