Action Canada is seeking nominations for candidates who are in the early years of their careers or pursuing post-secondary studies, who have the promise to be future Canadian leaders and who will benefit by the study of leadership and public policy issues.
Candidates must be nominated for an Action Canada fellowship. Please see Nomination Form and Requirements.
The following Candidate Eligibility Requirements, Candidate Selection Criteria and Candidate Requirements apply:
Candidate Eligibility Requirements
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- be available to participate in the program for a period of eleven months (1 May 2013 to 31 March 2014)
- be available to work throughout the fellowship year in an assigned Task Force with other Fellows on a public policy project of significance to Canada. Fellows must complete work on their project by the beginning of the final working conference. NOTE: The projects require considerable individual and group time and work between conferences.
- be available to travel and participate in five, five-to-seven-day intensive working conferences (scheduled around weekends) held at various locations across Canada. The dates for the 2013/2014 working conferences are:
- 29 May – 2 June 2013
- 19 – 23 June 2013
- 7 days in August or late September/early October 2013 (exact dates to be confirmed by May 2013)
- 20 – 24 November 2013
- 3 – 9 February 2014
- be available to travel and participate in up to three additional Task Force meeting days, either immediately before or after a working conference. Related to these additional Task Force meeting days, Action Canada will cover the accommodation costs for up to three nights, either immediately before or after a working conference.
- recognize that the time commitment to Action Canada is substantial and that the fellowship year is to be undertaken in conjunction with other work in which Fellows are engaged.
- be fluent in French or English with a preference for candidates with a working knowledge of both French and English.
Candidate Selection Criteria
- Record of leadership and/or extraordinary achievement apart from academic studies.
- Superior character, open-mindedness, demonstrated teamwork ability and interest in working with others, energy and courage.
- A passion for Canada; the potential to become a Canadian leader and the commitment to make a positive contribution to Canada.
- Record of excellent post-secondary academic achievement, or other demonstration of outstanding intellectual ability.
As a candidate, you are required to submit one complete nomination package with all required documents in duplicate by 5:00 pm PT Friday, 15 February 2013 to:
#513 – 1489 Marine Drive
West Vancouver, British Columbia
Candidates must send their nomination packages via a delivery service that provides a tracking number and requires a signature upon delivery. It is the responsibility of candidates to ensure their nomination package arrives at the address above by the submission deadline. Action Canada does not send notification of receipt of nomination packages. Verification of delivery is to be done through contact with the delivery service.
Only candidates who have followed these procedures and can demonstrate a shipping error causing the delivery delay or loss of package, may request to resend his/her package and have it considered after the deadline. Under no circumstances can a nomination be considered after 1 March 2013.
Click here for the complete Action Canada 2013 Nomination Package, available as a PDF download. You will need Adobe Reader to open these files. If you do not have Adobe Reader installed on your computer, you can download the program for free here.